Most of us prefer to use iOS to get an upper hand in cyber security. iPhone/iPad has the ability to render high privacy to our personal data and information, which means there is no room for hackers or data stealers on iOS devices.
However, like other operating systems, iOS is prone to errors and problems. Recently, a few users complained that they received an error message saying ‘Cannot Verify Server Identity’ while trying to open the Mail app on their device.
If you have also encountered such an error message, you can read the quick guide till the end to get all the possible solutions. Henceforth, you can send and receive mails on your iPhone/iPad without any dread error. Have a look.
Causes of ‘Cannot Verify Server Identity’ Error on iPhone or iPad
The main reason for the same error is that your iPhone is protecting you from a fake mail server certificate. Your iPhone will check the mail server’s SSL certificate. If the certificate is expired, an error message will appear on the screen saying like ‘Cannot Verify Server Identity’.
If the domain name does not match the email address, then also you will get the same error message. In this case, you can’t send or receive emails and sometimes can’t even open the Mail app.
Fixes for the “Cannot Verify Server Identity’ Error on iPhone or iPad
Fix 1: Force Restart Device
The first attempt to resolve the Cannot Verify Server Identity error on your iPhone is to force restart the device. To do so,
- Press and hold Volume and side button until the power-Off menu appears on the screen, then drag the slide to turn off the device.
- After a few seconds, turn On device by pressing and holding the side button until the Apple logo appears on the screen.
- Once done, relaunch the mail app and see if the error appears again or not.
Fix 2: Update iPhone/iPad
Another solution you can try to resolve the same error is check and update your device to the latest version. To do so,
- Open Settings menu-> find and click on General option.
- Then click on the Software Update option, download and install the latest update on your device.
If your device has already been updated, skip this solution and move on to the next one.
Fix 3: Reset Network Settings
Sometimes resetting your iPhone/iPad network settings will help you to get rid of the same error. To do so,
- Open Settings menu->General-> tap on Transfer or Reset iPhone-> Reset->Reset Network Settings.
Note: If you are on iPhone 14 version or earlier, then select Settings->General->Reset option->ctap on Reset Network Settings option.
Fix 4: Check Server Status
If you have received a “Cannot Verify Server Identity” error message on your iOS device, then it might be due to server down problem. You need to check whether the email server is down or not. If the server is down, you should wait for a few hours and try to use the mail app again.
Fix 5: Deactivate SSL
You can also temporarily disable SSL encryption to test if you can send or receive email. To do so,
- Open Settings menu-> Accounts->select the Account type you are having issues with.
- Then click on Account->Advanced-> turn off toggle beside Use SSL under INCOMING SETTINGS.
Fix 6: Remove the Account
If none of the above solutions help you to fix the same error, then you should remove the account and add it back to your mail app and see the result.
These are the effective solutions you can apply to resolve ‘Cannot Verify Server Identity’ Error on iPhone or iPad. We hope you get rid of the discussed error with the solution listed above and start sending and receiving emails smoothly.