Several Windows 10 users recently complaining about the “AppModel Runtime Error 0x490” error inside Event Viewer. The error message states ‘Failed with 0x490 modifying AppModel Runtime status for package XXX’. The said error can occur as a result of corrupted system files, corrupted Visual Studio dependency, corrupted Windows Store cache and many more.
There were several reasons for this error likewise there are more solutions as well. This is not a complicated error. If you are looking for solutions to get rid of the said error, then you can follow this article till the end to find more solutions. Have a look;
How to fix AppModel Runtime Error 0x490 error?
Fix 1: Run the Windows App Troubleshooter:
Incompatibility with a built-in UWP (Universal Windows platform) may result in an “AppModel Runtime Error 0x490” error. If this problem is affecting you, all you have to do is run the Windows App Troubleshooter. To run the windows app troublshooter, follow these steps,
- Firstly, press Windows key+R altogether to open the RUN dialog box.
- In the RUN dialog box, type “ms-settings:troubleshoot” and then press Enter. Now the Troubleshoot window will appear on the screen. When you are in the Troubleshoot window select the option, Additional Troubleshooters.
- Then locate Find and Fix other problems section. There select the option Windows Store Apps and then click on Run the Troubleshooter. Now let the scanning process complete on its own.
- After the scanning completed, when you are inside the Windows Store Apps utility, in case a viable repair strategy is found then click on Apply this Fix option.
Note: You need to do a series of manual adjustments depends on the problem identified.
- Once everything is applied successfully, restart your system and check for the error.
Fix 2: Reset the People/Photos App via Powershell:
The “AppModel Runtime Error 0x490” error can occur if the People/Photos App have a licensing issue with the Windows Store app. Several affected users reported that they resolved this particular issue by reinstalling the People/Photos app via Powershell. To reset the People/Photos app, follow these steps,
- Firstly, press Windows key +R altogether to launch RUN dialog box. In the RUN dialog box type “Powershell”, then press Ctrl+ Shift+ Enter simultaneously to open the elevated Powershell window. If prompted by the UAC (User Account Control) click on Yes.
- Inside the elevated Powershell window type or copy+paste one of the following commands depending on the app that causing this error and need to reinstall the app.
get-appxpackage *Microsoft.People* | remove-appxpackage
get-appxpackage *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | remove-appxpackage
If you don’t have any idea about which application is causing the error, go to the Event Viewer and check which UWP app is mentioned in the General tab of the error log.
- Once the command successfully processed, the said error got solved now.
Fix 3: Reset the Windows Store cache:
As per several suffered users, resetting the Windows store app helped them to resolve the “AppModel Runtime Error 0x490” error easily. Hence we recommend you can also try the same. To reset the Windows Store cache, follow these steps,
- Firstly, press Windows key +R altogether to open the RUN dialog box, inside the RUN type ‘wsreset.exe’ and then to perform the action with Admin access, press Ctrl+ shift+ Enter altogether.
- After the process, you can see a CMD prompt as wsreset.exe. Then wait for the window to close automatically. Once you are done, Restart the system and check for the said error.
Fix 4: Reinstall the Visual studio RunTime Dependencies:
As we have discussed above if some Visual Studio runtime dependencies have become corrupted you may get the “AppModel Runtime Error 0x490” error. In this scenario to get rid of this error, you need to reinstall all potentially corrupted Visual Studio dependency. Before that, you need to uninstall Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package from your system. To reinstall Visual studio RunTime dependencies, follow these steps,
- Firstly, you should need to uninstall all Visual Studio dependency you already installed. To uninstall it, Press Windows key +R simultaneously to open the RUN dialog box. In the dialog box type ‘appwiz.cpl’ and then press Enter.
- Now the Programs and Features window will open to you.
- In the Programs and Features, window finds, and right-click over all Visuals Studio installations and uninstall each one by selecting the Uninstall button from the context menu. Follow the on-screen instructions to uninstall all Visual studio installations.
- Thereafter, restart your system, then wait for the next startup sequence to complete.
- Then your computer boots back up, using the all-in-one installer, you can install Visual Studio 2015, Visual Studio 2017, and Visual Studio 2019. Depend on your OS you can use the appropriate installer given below,
- Now let complete the download process and follow the on-screen instructions to install the redistributable package on your PC.
- Once the reinstallation is completed, Restart your system and check for the error.
Fix 5: Run SFC and DISM scan:
The “AppModel Runtime Error 0x490” error can also occur as a result of a system file corruption. In this scenario, running the SFC scan will help you to detect and replace the corrupted files in your system. To run an SFC scan, follow these steps,
- Firstly, in the desktop search bar type, “cmd” and open the Command prompt window with administrative access.
- Now inside the Command prompt window, type sfc/ scannow and then press Enter. This process does not need a stable internet connection.
- Once the scanning completed, restart your system and check whether the said error resolved or not. If not then run the DISM scan.
- To do DISM scan, in the Command prompt window type DISM /Online /Cleanup–Image /ScanHealth and then press Enter. Now let the scanning complete on its own.
- After the scanning, the said error should be solved now.
Fix 6: Refresh every Windows Component:
If all the above fixes failed to resolve your issue, then, as a last resort, you can try is reset every Windows component. The above solutions did not help you means, that you are facing some sort of system file corruption that cannot be resolved conventionally. In this case, you easily fix the error with a Clean Install or install repair (in-place repair).
The Clean Installation is the easiest procedure, but you need to back up your data before this procedure, otherwise, it will lose permanently. One of the most advantages of the Clean Installation is that it does not need compatible installation media for this process. On the other hand, you have install repair (in-place repair), which is a tedious process and need compatible installation media. You can choose any of these.
The above-mentioned fixes are tried and tested by several affected users. You can also select any of the solutions from this article and we are sure that it will help you in your case.
The “AppModel Runtime Error 0x490” error is not a serious one but if you did not treat it at right time, it can turn into a serious error. We hope after reading this article you will get all of the information related to the said error. Hereafter, if you have any doubts or queries, please comment in the given commend box.