Recently few Windows users reported that while trying to use the Windows Media Creation Tool, they ran into Error Code 0x80072f8f – 0x20000. This Media creation tool prepares installation media for upgrading your system to the latest version. After the same error appeared on the screen, they failed to upgrade their windows.
It might be disgusting if you fall into errors during the upgradation process, as it is crucial to increase the performance of the system. If you are also struggling with the Error Code 0x80072f8f – 0x20000 on Windows 10/11, then you can follow this article. Here we have gathered a few solutions to overcome the same issue quickly and effortlessly. Then let’s have a look.
Fix 1: Run the Media Cration Tool as Admin
As a first trick to resolve the Error Code 0x80072f8f – 0x20000 is running the Media Creation tool with admin access. To do so,
- Firstly, move to the Media Creation tool installation folder and right-click on the .exe file from the list.
- Then open the selected .exe file as the Run as Administrator option.
- Once done, try to upgrade your system and see the result.
Fix 2: Delete Software Distribution Folder
Sometimes deleting the Software Distribution folder content will help you to resolve the Error Code 0x80072f8f – 0x20000 on your Windows 11 system. To do so,
- Firstly, open File Explorer on your screen and should go to the following path,
- Now choose all the content in the download folder and click on the Delete button.
- Once done, type cmd in your search box and open the Command Prompt window (with Admin Access).
- In the new screen, type the following command and then press Enter button,
- Finally, restart the system and continue with the upgrade process.
Fix 3: Modify Windows Registry
Another solution to resolve the Error Code 0x80072f8f – 0x20000 on your Windows 11 is making some changes in your Windows Registry. To do so,
Note: Try creating a Registry backup before the editing process. This is because if something goes wrong during the process, it can affect the operation of the system, and it can become dangerous.
- Firstly, press Windows + R altogether to open the RUN dialog box, then type Regedit and click on OK.
- Inside the new screen, go to the following path,
- Then right-click on the white space, choose the New and DWORD (32-bit) Value option and name it as AllowOSUpgrade.
- Now double-click on the AllowOSUpgrade and set the Value data as 1.
- Finally, save the changes, exit from the screen, and retry to upgrade your system.
Fix 4: Restart Windows Update Service
At times simply restarting the Windows Update Services will allow you to resolve the Error Code 0x80072f8f – 0x20000 on your Windows 11 quickly. To do so,
- Firstly, type “Services” in your search box and open the relevant result from the search.
- Inside the newly opened screen, scroll down and double-click on the Windows Update service and select its Properties.
- Now set the Startup type as Automatic and Service Status as Running.
- Repeat the above same steps to restart Background Intelligent Transfer Service, Server, Workstation, TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper, IKE and AuthIP IPsec Keying Modules, etc.
- Finally, restart the system and try again to upgrade your system and see the result.
Fix 5: Disable the Antivirus
Sometimes an antivirus program installed on your system may interrupt the upgrade process and lead to similar problems. The best solution here is to disable the antivirus program temporarily and see improvements.
Fix 6: Perform Clean Boot
If you encounter the Error Code 0x80072f8f – 0x20000 on your Windows 11, then it could be due to any corrupted third-party services. Here you need to perform a clean boot to resolve the same issue. To do so,
- Firstly, type ‘system configuration‘ in your search box and launch the top result from the search.
- In the new screen, select the Services tab and tick the checkbox beside the Hide all Microsoft services and click on Disable all and OK button.
- Now go to the Startup tab and click on the Open Task Manager option from the screen.
- Inside the Task Manager screen, select the Startup, choose all startup services and click on Disable button.
- Then restart your system and see if the error is eliminated or not. If yes, then you need to find the problematic service from the list and delete it.
Fix 7: Reset Windows Update Component Services
If any of the above solutions do not help you, then you can reset Windows Update Component services to resolve the same error. To do so,
- Firstly, type cmd in your search box and open the Command Prompt window (with Admin Access).
- In the next screen, type the following commands and then press Enter button,
SC config trustedinstaller start=auto
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop msiserver
net stop cryptsvc
net stop appidsvc
Ren %Systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren %Systemroot%\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
regsvr32.exe /s atl.dll
regsvr32.exe /s urlmon.dl
l regsvr32.exe /s mshtml.dll
netsh winsock reset
netsh winsock reset proxy
rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /ScanHealth
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /CheckHealth
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /StartComponentCleanup
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start msiserver
net start cryptsvc
net start appidsvc
- Once done, restart the system and try again to upgrade the system.
These are all about the Error Code 0x80072f8f – 0x20000 on Windows 11 and its fixes. If you have any queries or concerns regarding this article, you can leave a comment in the comment box below.