Lately, a lot of windows 10 users have been reportedly complaining about an error code 0x80070026 that prevent them from installing the latest updates. The said error usually appears when the user’s C:Users folder was changed to another directory. This is not a serious issue and can easily terminate in no time.
The error code 0x80070026 disturbing lots of Windows users day-to-day work. While considering this disturbing scenario we have gathered some helpful solutions for users to get rid of this error. If you are the one who is suffering from the same error, make sure you read this article till the end. Let’s go to the solutions.
How to fix Update Error Code 0x80070026?
Fix 1: Delete the Content of the Temp Folder:
As a first resort, to escape from the “Update Error Code 0x80070026” error users can delete the content of their Temp folder. This is an effective method tried by a lot of suffered users. You can also do the same in your case. To delete the content, you can follow these steps,
Note: Before deleting all the contents of the Temp folder, please backup your personal and important data.
- Firstly, Restart your System, after the restart, log in to the Administrative account.
- Then go to the C: partition, locate and double-click on the Users folder.
- Again, double-click on the itnota folder and open AppData >Local. Here you can find Temp folder, open it and Delete all the contents in the folder.
- Once you are done, try to install the latest updates.
Fix 2: Copy the $$PendingFiles folder:
If the above fix does not work for you, then you can follow this solution, but this solution did not work for every Windows users. If any steps mentioned in the solution not available on your PC then you can completely skip from this solution. To copy the $$PendingFiles, follow the steps given below;
- Firstly, press Window key+ I to open the Settings window.
- In the Settings window select the option Update and Security.
- Now select Recovery from the left-pane menu and then select the Advanced Startup option and click on Restart now tab.
- When the restart process finished, a new window Pop up on the screen with a choice Choose an option.
- Then select Troubleshoot->Advanced options.
- Then click on Command Prompt and the command prompt window will open for you. In the window type, the following command and press Enter.
- Follow the same for all partitions to decide which one is on the SSD or external drive and to find which one is on the internal hard drive. (For instance, we can take the letter G as the external hard drive and the letter H as the internal hard drive).
- Further, in the command prompt type or copy+paste the following commands and then press Enter
robocopy /copyall /mir /xj G:$$PendingFiles H:$$PendingFiles
- Thereafter, run the following command and then press Enter.
rmdir /S /Q G:$$PendingFiles
- After running the command open the File Explorer and find the letter the internal hard drive used for. Here we are using the letter B.
- Now in the command prompt window, type or copy then paste the following command and then press Enter.
mklink /J G:$$PendingFiles B:$$PendingFiles
- Finally, exit from the command prompt and restart your system.
- After the restart, try again to install the latest updates. The error will be solved for now.
Fix 3: Run DISM scan:
As per some suffered users, running the DISM command helped them to get rid of the “Update Error Code 0x80070026” error easily. We also recommend the same here. To run this command follow the steps given below;
- Firstly, in the desktop search bar, type cmd and press Enter. The Command prompt window will open for you. Make sure you opened it as Administrative access.
- In the command prompt window type or copy+paste, the following commands and then press Enter after each command.
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- Once you run the command, close the Command prompt window and restart your PC. Now check the error get solved or persists.
Fix 4: System Refresh:
Refreshing your system is another helpful solution to escape from the “Update Error Code 0x80070026” error. To refresh system, follow the steps given below.
- Firstly, press Windows key+ I to open the Settings window.
- In the Settings window click on the Recovery tab.
- In the newly opened window under the Reset this PC section, click on Get started tab.
- Then follow the onscreen instructions to finish this process. After refreshing the system try again to install the latest update.
Fix 5: Reset Windows Update Components:
To do so,
- Firstly, in the Desktop search bar type cmd and press Enter. The command prompt window will open for you now. Make sure you opened the window with Administrative access.
- Now to stop the Windows Update Services type or copy+paste the following commands and press Enter after each command,
net stop wuauserv
net stop cryptSvc
net stop bits
net stop msiserver
- Then type the following commands to rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder,
Ren C:WindowssoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren C:WindowsSystem32catroot2 Catroot2.old
- Now you can restart the Window Update Services by typing the following commands and press Enter.
net start wuauserv
net start cryptSvc
net start bits
net start msiserver
- Finally, exit from the command prompt window and restart your system.
Now check if you are available to install the latest updates.
Fix 6: Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter:
The Windows built-in Update Troubleshooter helps in solving general updates issues in no time. So here in order to escape from the “Update Error Code 0x80070026” issue, you can also run the Windows Update Troubleshooter. To run the troubleshooter, follow the steps given below;
- Firstly, press Windows key +I altogether to open the Settings window.
- In the Settings window, select the Update and Security option.
- Then in the newly opened window at the left-pane menu, click on Troubleshoot and select Additional troubleshooters.
- Now select the option Windows Update and click on Run the troubleshooter.
Once you run the troubleshooter, check the error solved or not. If the issue not solved then move to the next solution.
Fix 7: Install Updates manually:
If any of the above fixes did not work in your issue and still your Windows Update service not working then you can depend on the manual procedure. In case if you need to install the latest Windows patches, then you can go to the Manufacture’s Update Catalog directly and type the respective update(s) KB number and click on the download button. You can follow the same procedure to install the latest hardware driver updates; simply go to the Manufacturer’s website and download the updates.
All the above-given solutions are reliable and tested and tried by a lot of users. You can also try any one of the above solutions and we are sure that it will help in your case also.
Anyway, beyond these fixes you can also try to check your antivirus, sometimes your antivirus might interrupt in your Windows Update. After reading this article have any doubts or queries, write down the comment in the below comment box.