Recently Microsoft released optional Update KB5016691 on Windows 11 system. It wouldn’t be a good idea to miss installing this optional update as it comes with fixes for several bugs in your system. However, a few users recently reported that they are not able to install this optional cumulative preview update on the system and they are worried about it.
There can be many reasons for the same problem, but thankfully, there are some tricks available to overcome it. If you are having trouble installing the KB5016691 update on your Windows 11 system, you can pursue this article. Here we have listed some surefire solutions that will help you solve your problem quickly. Then let’s have a look.
Fix 1: Run Update Troubleshooter
The first step to installing or downloading the Update KB5016691 on your Windows 11 is running the built-in troubleshooter tool. To do so,
- Open Start menu->Settings->System->Troubleshooter option.
- Select Other troubleshooters-> choose Windows Update->click on the Run button.
- Once done, you can download and install the optional update.
Fix 2: Run SFC Scan
If the problem is with your system files, you need to run the SFC tool to repair those corrupted files and then try to install the update again. To do so,
- Open the Command Prompt window (by typing cmd in the search box)-> then type or paste the following commands and press Enter,
- Then again type the following commands and press Enter to restore those repaired system files,
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Once done, now you can download and install the optional update.
Fix 3: Install Windows 11 Installation Assistant
In some instances installing the Windows 11 Installation Assistant will allow you to download and install the optional Update KB5016691 on your Windows 11. To do so,
- Open Windows 11 Installation Assistant webpage-> click on the Download now button under the Windows 11 Installation Assistant section.
- Once the file is installed on your system, then you can download and install the optional update.
Fix 4: Install the Windows 11 Media Creation Tool
Sometimes you need to install Windows 11 Media Creation tool as well to install the Update KB5016691 on your system smoothly. To do so,
- Open Windows 11 Media Creation Tool webpage-> click on the Download now button under Windows 11 Media Creation Tool section.
- Once done, you can install the tool and try again to install the optional update.
Fix 5: Reset Windows Update Service
Another solution to resolve the Update KB5016691 Not Installing on Windows 11 issue is resetting the Windows Update services. To do so,
- Open Services window->right-click on Windows Update->select Properties.
- Then on the newly opened screen, set the Startup type as Automatic and Service Status as Running.
- Next, click on Restart the Service option from the top left side of the Services screen and complete the process.
- Finally, you can download and install the optional update.
Fix 6: Use Microsoft Update Catalog
You can also download the Update KB5016691 from the Microsoft Update Catalog page and manually install it on your Windows 11. To do so,
- Open the Microsoft Update Catalog webpage-> type “KB5016691” in the search box-> download the file compatible with your system.
- Once done, install it on your system and you are done.
Fix 7: Reset Windows Update Component
In most cases, you need to reset Windows Update Component to install Update KB5016691 on your Windows 11 without any issues. To do so,
- Open Command Prompt screen-> type the following commands one after another and press Enter,
SC config trustedinstaller start=auto
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop msiserver
net stop cryptsvc
net stop appidsvc
Ren %Systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren %Systemroot%\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
regsvr32.exe /s atl.dll
regsvr32.exe /s urlmon.dl
regsvr32.exe /s mshtml.dll
netsh winsock reset
netsh winsock reset proxy
rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /ScanHealth
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /CheckHealth
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /StartComponentCleanup
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start msiserver
net start cryptsvc
net start appidsvc
- If all the commands are executed, restart the system and install the optional update.
These are the tricks to install Update KB5016691 on your Windows 11 easily. If you have any concerns related to the information given above, then you can list your doubts in the command box below.