VirtualBox is an open-source hosted hypervisor. It helps users in extending their existing computer and running multiple operating systems. Users can run Linux, Oracle Solaris, Mac OS X, and Microsoft Windows altogether with VirtualBox. However, lately, Windows 10 users are complaining that they are experiencing an error while installing VirtualBox. The error states, ‘Installation failed! Error: Fatal error during installation.
Today, in this article, we have compiled four sure-shot fixes that will help you in resolving the VirtualBox installation failed fatal error. Make sure you stick till the end to get the most out of this article. Now let’s have a look;
Fixes for VirtualBox installation failed fatal error on Windows 10
FIX 1: Run VirtualBox Installer as Admin:
As a first attempt to resolve the VirtualBox installation failed fatal error on Windows 10 is to run the VirtualBox Installer as Admin. To run the VirtualBox as Admin, you can follow these steps,
- Firstly, go to the directory where VirtualBox is saved.
- Now right-click over the installer and then select the option Run as administrator. If you see the UAC prompt, click on Yes.
- Now follow the on-screen instructions and at last check whether the said error got resolved or not.
FIX 2: Run Microsoft Program Install troubleshooter:
As per a few suffered users, running the Microsoft Program Install troubleshooter helped them in resolving the VirtualBox installation failed fatal error. To run the Microsoft Program Install troubleshooter, you can follow these steps’
- Firstly, go to the Microsoft Program Install troubleshooter page and then click on the Download button.
- Further, run the Microsoft Program Install Troubleshooter tool.
- Now click on Next.
- Further, under Are you having a problem installing or uninstalling a program prompt, click on Installing.
- The tool will now begin scanning the system for the problems and will recommend you some suitable solutions.
- Once it is all done, restart your computer and check whether the said issue got resolved or not.
FIX 3: Disable Antivirus:
Disabling the Antivirus has also proved helpful in the VirtualBox installation failed fatal error on Windows 10 scenario. You can follow these below steps to do so,
- Firstly, temporarily disable your third-party Antivirus security.
- Now Install VirtualBox.
- After it is successfully installed, re-enable the Antivirus.
Further, disable Windows Real-Time Network Protection from the settings (If necessary). For doing so,
- Navigate to the Start menu and in the search box, type Windows Security and open the relevant search result.
- Now click upon Virus & threat protection -> Manage settings.
- Further toggle off the switch for the option Real-time protection.
FIX 4: Use alternative software:
If none of those mentioned above fixes works for you, then, at last, we will recommend you to use alternative software. There are several alternatives for VirtualBox; you can use any of them.
These were the top 4 fixes for the VirtualBox installation failed fatal error on Windows 10. All of them are explained simply for the ease of our readers. None of the fixes requires extreme technical understanding, but basic computer knowledge will also do.
We hope that all the information mentioned here will prove helpful and relevant to you at the end of this article. If you have any queries or doubts after reading this article, leave a comment in the below comment box.