Lately, a few users complained that while trying to install the latest cumulative updates on their Windows 11, they received an Error Code 0x80073701 which prevented the installation process. Microsoft releases new updates at regular intervals to improve the system’s performance, so it is very crucial to install new updates. Anyway, this is not a severe issue, and you can resolve it using a few steps.
If you are also getting the Error Code 0x80073701, then you can follow this article to get all the possible solutions. Here we have listed a few effective solutions to overcome the same issue on your Windows 11 system. Then let’s have a look.
Fix 1: Restart the System
The first solution to deal with Error Code 0x80073701 is to restart your Windows 11 system. When restarting the system, this process will start the system fresh and clear most minor bugs.
Fix 2: Restart Windows Update Services
Sometimes restarting the Windows Update service will help you to resolve the Update Error Code 0x80073701 on your Windows 11 system. To do so,
- Firstly, open the Services window on your system screen, find and double-click on Windows Update service.
- Inside the newly appeared screen, set Startup type as Automatic and Service status as Running.
- Once done, click on the Restart link from the top left side of the screen and complete the process.
- Follow the same above steps to restart the Background Intelligent Transfer service.
- Finally, restart the system and install the latest updates again.
Fix 3: Reinstall Windows 11 Installation Assistant
At times installing Windows 11 Installation Assistant will allow you to get rid of Error Code 0x80073701 quickly, and you can install the latest updates. To do so,
- Firstly, launch your regular web browser and navigate to the Windows 11 Installation Assistant page.
- Then click on the Download now button under the Windows 11 Installation Assistant section and install it on your system.
- Once done, restart the system and install the latest updates again.
Fix 4: Reset Windows Update Components
If you encountered Error Code 0x80073701 on your Windows 11 system, then you should reset Windows Update components to escape from the same issue. To do so,
- Firstly, type “cmd” in your search box and open the Command Prompt window (Run as administrator) from the search result.
- Inside the newly appeared screen, type or paste the following commands and press Enter,
SC config trustedinstaller start=auto
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
net stop msiserver
net stop cryptsvc
net stop appidsvc
Ren %Systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
Ren %Systemroot%\System32\catroot2 catroot2.old
regsvr32.exe /s atl.dll
regsvr32.exe /s urlmon.dl
regsvr32.exe /s mshtml.dll
netsh winsock reset
netsh winsock reset proxy
rundll32.exe pnpclean.dll,RunDLL_PnpClean /DRIVERS /MAXCLEAN
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /ScanHealth
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /CheckHealth
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth
dism /Online /Cleanup-image /StartComponentCleanup
net start bits
net start wuauserv
net start msiserver
net start cryptsvc
net start appidsvc
- When done, restart the system and install the latest updates again.
Fix 5: Use Media Creation Tool
In most cases, installing the Windows 11 Media Creation tool will allow you to resolve the Update Error Code 0x80073701. To do so
- Firstly, launch your regular browser and navigate to the Windows 11 Media Creation official webpage.
- Then click on the Download now button under the Media Creation tool section and install it on your system.
- Once done, the issue might get resolved for you.
Fix 6: Run SFC Scan
Sometimes corrupt system files prevent you from installing the latest Windows updates on your system. In this case, you need to run an SFC scan to repair all corrupted system files quickly. To do so,
- Firstly, open the Command Prompt window by typing “cmd” in your search box and launching the top result.
- Then inside the black text screen, type or paste the following command and click on Enter button,
- Once done, again paste or type the below-given commands and click on Enter button to restore early repaired system files,
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- When all the commands are executed, you can install the latest updates on your PC.
Fix 7: Use Microsoft Update Catalog
If any of the above solutions do not help you, then you should install the problematic update manually. To do so,
- Firstly, launch your browser and navigate to the Microsoft Update Catalog page.
- Then in the search box, type “KB xxxxxx” (problematic update number) and press OK
- Now choose the suitable file from the list and install it on your system, and you are done.
These are all about the Windows Update Error Code 0x80073701 on Windows 11 issue and its fixes. If you have any queries or concerns regarding this article, you can leave a comment in the comment box below.