Photos are familiar to all Windows 10 users, using it as a default image viewer tool with millions of users. Currently, many users have been reporting that they, ending up with an error code 0x887A0005 when using the Photo app to export a video. The said error code appeared on the screen as “Update your drivers to export video… We encountered an issue with your video drivers and are unable to export video… Here’s the error code, in case you need it: 0x887A000”.
This error code 0x887A0005 can occur as a result of several reasons, including a corrupted driver or related to hardware-accelerated encoding. If you are encountering the same issue then you can follow this article. We have provided some reliable fixes to avoid the said error. Without wasting the time, we can move towards the fixes. Let’s have a look.
Fix 1: Run the Troubleshooter:
As a first resort we can run the Windows built-in tool troubleshooter. In general, this troubleshooter feature in Windows 10 helps to fixes most errors and is a handy tool for all users. Here also you can follow this simple solution at first. To run this built-in tool, follow these steps,
- Firstly, go to Settings and open the Update and Security option.
- In the Update and Security window, from the right-pane menu, select Troubleshoot option.
- Then click on the Additional troubleshooters link, from the right-pane menu.
- Now select Windows Store Apps from the list, and click on Run the troubleshooter.
- Once you are done, restart your system, and relaunch the Photos app and check for the said error.
Fix 2: Update the Graphics Card:
As we can see in the error message, the error code caused by corrupt video drivers. Therefore, updating your video driver is an effective solution to the 0x887A0005 photos error code in Windows 10. To update the graphics card, follow these steps,
- Firstly, right-click on the Start button and, select Device Manager from the context menu.
- Then in the Device Manager window, expand the Display adapters option from the list.
- Now select the Graphics drivers and, right-click over it and then, click on Update driver from the drop-down menu.
- Once done, relaunch Photos and check whether the said error resolved or not.
Fix 3: Update Windows:
Updating your systems from time to time helps to resolve existing bugs and issues. In the case of Photos error code 0x887A0005 also you can try the same. Follow these steps to update Windows,
- Firstly, in the desktop taskbar search box, type, Settings and open the Settings app search result.
- Inside the Settings app, go to the Update and Security option.
- Then in the newly opened window, click on Windows Update option and click on Check for updates tab.
- It may take some extra time to download and install new updates.
- Once done, open the Photos app and check the said error resolved for you or not.
Fix 4: Reset Photos:
If you happened to find Photos error code 0x887A0005 in your Photos app, then most probably, resetting the app will help you to resolve the said error. To reset Photos, follow theses steps,
- Firstly, in the desktop search bar type, Settings and open the relevant result.
- Then from the Settings menu and click on the Apps option.
- Now under the Apps & features, you can see a list of apps installed in your system.
- From the list select, the Microsoft Photos app and click over it, then click on the Advanced options link.
- Now scroll down the newly opened window, and from the Reset section, click on the Reset button.
- Press again the Reset tab to confirm the process. Also, you can click on the Repair button (in case the Reset button doesn’t work).
- Once done, restart your system and check for improvement.
Fix 5: Reinstall Photos:
As per some suffered users, reinstalling the Photos app helped them to getting rid of the Photos error code 0x887A0005 from their system. To reinstall Photos, follow theses steps,
- Firstly, press Windows + R to launch the RUN dialog box.
- Then in the RUN text box, type cmd and open the Command Prompt with administrative access.
- Now inside the Command prompt, type or copy+paste, the following command,
get-appxpackage *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | remove-appxpackage
- With the entered command, press the Return key to uninstall the Photos app.
- Once done, restart your system and open the Microsoft Photos app official webpage in your browser.
- Then click on the Get button on the same page.
- And then select the Open Microsoft store option.
- Finally, from the Microsoft store, press on the Get button to install the Photos app. The said error might be solved for now.
Fix 6: Turn off Hardware-acceleration video encoding in Photos:
Sometimes, a single change in Photos app settings might help you to get rid of the Photos error code 0x887A0005 issue for you. Follow the steps given below to know which settings you need to change,
- In the desktop taskbar search box, type, Photos and open the Photos app from the search results.
- Now in Photos app, click on the three-dot(see more) option, as you see it in the above shown screenshot.
- Then select the Settings option.
- Now scroll down and select the Video section.
- Under the Video section, turn OFF Use hardware-accelerated video encoding when available option.
- Finally, restart your system and relaunch the photos app and check the said issue resolved from your system or not.
Fix 7: Clear Microsoft store cache:
If none of the above solutions did not help you in resolving the Photos error code 0x887A0005 on Windows 10 then you try to clear the MS store cache. In some cases, if the store cache mounted then it may cause such errors. To clear the MS store cache, follow these steps,
- Firstly, in the desktop search bar, type WSReset.exe and select the relevant search result.
- Right-click on wsreset and open it with administrative access.
- Now the wsreset window will be closeed and the Microsoft store will open for you.
- Then try to export the video using the Photos app and check for improvement.
These are all about the Photos error code 0x887A0005 in Windows 10. We are quite sure that one or the other of the above fixes might help you in your case. If you have any queries or doubt after reading this article, leave a comment in the below comment box.